[thelist] PHP-ized Style Sheets

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 14:09:01 CST 2013

Barney Carroll scribeva in 2013-03-04 22:12:
> Damn. I was going to suggest Piste(verywhere).

Perfect name - thank you! Have a look at
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/piste#Finnish>

So the new location of the script is <https://github.com/kasimir-k/Piste>.

> I bet pistes are way popular in Finland.

You could say that...

> I do think it would be an excellent idea to casually potter away at
> creating parity with http://bourbon.io/ or http://susy.oddbird.net/ as a
> proof-of-concept…
>
>> And this should be achieved in the simplest possible way.
>
> …maybe later.

Yes, maybe later... I might not be too keen to include vendor prefixing
here (except for the very simplest cases), would rather encourage use of
e.g. <http://leaverou.github.com/prefixfree/>

Layout frameworks have their place, and that place is not for those
obsessed with simplicity and minimalism.

Some sort of mixin collection might be a good idea though.

> Yes. The core concept is so simple that the import logic elaborated in
> README.md jumps out as arbitrary, redundant, and a key feature. People can
> already do imports etc — heck, they may have their own module packager
> they'd want to bring in to these. Leave it to the user?

You are right in that is seems arbitrary and redundant. But it can't be
left to the user, as the script needs to know about the included files,
so the cache can be rebuilt when needed.

But I think there's a way to make things less arbitrary, easier to use
(the developer user experience is extremely important here!) and more
powerful. Will update it after pondering it a day or two.

Thanks for the name and inspiration!

.k