[thelist] Webservers

Dan Parry dan at shaded.plus.com
Wed Mar 13 18:36:58 CDT 2013

> On 03/13/2013 09:09 AM, Dan Parry wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm in a position just at the minute where I have to decide on and
> set
> > up a webserver. This is very much not my area. Basically I need an
> > unmanaged server with CPs but I'm really out of my depth
> >
> > Currently I'm looking at the Hetzner EX4 (Debian with Webmin). Does
> anyone know how the DNS works and how difficult it is to add FTP users
> and sites?
>
> I can't speak to this...
>
> > Does anyone have any recommendations on a host they think might be
> > suitable? I need root SSH access also
>
> ... but "root ssh access" means you need a virtual private server, not
> a typical web host.
>
> HTH,
>
> Phil
> --

Thanks for the advice guys. I think it turns out I need to rethink what I need. For now a decent host with good CPs and multiple domains is the way to go until I've been able to educate myself

Does anyone have any particular hosts they can recommend? (Dan, I intend to check your suggestion tomorrow)

Thanks again

Dan