[thelist] massive disk space for image storage

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun Aug 18 13:03:01 CDT 2013

Please check my math as this seems rather expensive.  Client needs to store massive numbers of images for their project.  I estimate 400,000 images, all excessively high quality, large dimension. Minimum of 15, maybe 30 MegaPixels per image.  I know MB and MP will not be 1:1, but just the same I need to make up some guesstimate. So:

400000 images  * 30MB/image = 12,000,000 MB  est. = 12,000 GB = 12 TB

Looking around, be it VPS or Dedicated, this will take more than several costly plans.  One reasonably cost-effective source does 1.5TB for under $600.

Am I missing anthing yet?

Amazon storage, cloud storage, etc. - I have not had to go there yet. Suggestions?

-Bob