[thelist] printer recommendations

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Aug 22 10:03:20 CDT 2013

Hi Lighning,

We got this Epson Workforce Wifi printer at work a month or two ago and
I'm so impressed with it that I've decided that it will be the next
printer I'm buying for home too.

   Epson WorkForce 2540 Wireless All-In-One (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3995610&CatId=2709

It was a breeze to setup, both Windows and Macs recognize it instantly
with no driver issues.  It has Wifi and wired ethernet built-in, the
scanner has both sheetfeeder as well as flatbed capability.

My aging Lexmark wifi inkjet with flatbed scanner was nice too, but
suffered from the same problem as the old HP multifunction we had in the
office: huge DVD full of bloated, low-quality drivers and application
"suites" you have to install, but that seldom install properly on the
first try, and never install in under an hour... buggy drivers and apps
drove me crazy on both the Lexmark and HP multifuntions, especially when
you have to scan something.

So I recommend the Epson Workforce series -- the $129 model does duplex
too, but I never need duplex myself.

-dave