[thelist] Coning conventions, pet peeves

Nadeem Hosenbokus nadeem at nadeemh.com
Mon May 2 07:22:30 CDT 2016

I don’t have anything to add to this. I just wanted to say that I appreciated the points you raised especially about, what I understood as, a shift in perspective in coding today.

I am a young coder compared to a lot of you having been born in 77 well after a lot of you had already started out, but one of the first things I was taught was that concepts in IT need to be forward thinking and we need to be prepared to deal with things that don't immediately make sense. On some level, to me this means trusting other developers to do things for a reason and not to automatically assume incompetence or cultural differences.

I fired a couple of clients (amicably) last year and had to find developers to fill the gap. During my search I found that a lot of new developers rely so much on trending frameworks that they never learnt the basics such as normalising databases, planning for future cases, modularity, not to hardcode values, etc. I suppose anything I list comes down to one thing: they don't think of future flexibility. One caveat to this though: I do live on a small (annoyingly sunny) island with a population of just over a million people and the pool of developers is already small to begin with so maybe it's not so indicative of anything.

Anyway, thank you, you are not reviled in the slightest and I for one fully appreciate the wisdom in your words.

Thanks,

Nadeem Hosenbokus
(230) 5766 9169
www.nadeemh.com