[thelist] Hello Everybody!

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun May 8 21:47:39 CDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 6:36 PM,  <simonmacdonald at uk2.net> wrote:
> I think we are all familiar with the guidelines. Given that there has been no chat on any of the lists recently, I think that you are being a touch pedantic. Sorry.

I don't think I am, and I apologise in advance for the meta that is to
follow (which should really be on theforum).

thelist exists to discuss web development and related topics.  thechat
is an overflow list to talk about literally anything else.  This helps
to keep the signal to noise ratio on thelist at an acceptable level.
The number of postings is irrelevant; in fact, it can become an even
more pointed issue if subscribers suddenly see random chat appearing
in their inboxes which has nothing to do with the list topic.

I get it: everyone is excited to see the list alive again, and that
includes me.  This is great stuff.  But we can either stick to (at the
very least the core of) the rules that have been in place for over
seventeen years, and that everyone agreed to when we all subscribed,
or we can have a free for all.  What's your pleasure, sir?

-n