[thelist] Usability question: home page vs dashboard at same URL

erik mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Sep 16 14:17:02 CDT 2016

Since my original email I actually looked at Twitter while signed out and
they do have completely different content for '/' depending on whether the
user is logged in. I am guessing the designer was taking a cue from huge
sites that do this.

I agree the main reason to allow logged in users to see the home page
similarly to non-logged in is going to be so they can share the marketing
material - this is a specialized and private social network that will only
work for users if other people they personally know are also users.

Projecting into the future, the marketing videos on the public home page
are going to be created at some expense and I am guessing on that account
alone the owner is going to want them available to all users all the time.
The obvious solution to me is to keep the home page after the user is
signed in and make the signed in dashboard a different page. I suppose I am
mostly frustrated that it doesn't seem my co-workers are thinking ahead in
the same way I am.

My favorite suggestion so far though is to make the dashboard a different
url and replace the home page content with an error, "Sorry, the content
you are trying to view is public. Please sign out to access this content."
Ha ha.

--
Erik Mattheis

http://www.flickr.com/gelk