[thelist] Domain issues

Volkan Özçelik volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 16:32:24 UTC 2020

> But I'd pretty much forgotten about the list until now. What happened to
it?

I guess it’s still there (since we can still send emails to/from :) ), but
instead of the warm and cozy medium of thelist, people prefer other media
like: StackOverflow, google groups, facebook groups, dev.to, slack
communities, discord communities… they are dime a dozen… and they have
really good people discussing cool thing.

evolt is still there too: https://evolt.org/archive.html
with it’s last post (dated 2013) underlining that “it is not the end”
https://evolt.org/this-is-not-the-end

I personally would love the list back.
But, imho, it’s not an easy task.
We are like a bunch of nerds on the fringe where the mainstream are using
other tools to communicate.
At least that’s how I feel.

Both, thelist, and evolt can become active again.
It all boils down to gathering enough clout, and enough interested
individually to keep to ball rolling.

I did community building long time ago. And I know that it’s damn hard.
In a typical community there are 90% contributors and 10% lurkers.
In a typical “developer” community, there will be 1% contributors, 95%
lurkers, and 4% of those who don’t know why they are there in the first
place.

Plus, all the core contributors (me included) got other stuff coming down
their alley (life changes, family, kids, increased responsibilities etc)
And, for the lack of a better term, there was not enough fresh blood to
keep the fire burning.

At least that’s how I think and feel.

And I still haz hope.

This is not the end.