[thesite] if anyones bored..

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Oct 22 12:28:33 CDT 2001

>>  i'll bet any number of coldfusion users that
>> are currently on this list could get comfortable with it
>> given some time.
>
>oh, i was talking comfortable as in actually changing cold fusion code.

well, sure, but changing cold fusion code ain't the tough part, i could do
(and have done) that too

the tough part is all the application structure -- which session variables
are assumed to exist on the page, query results stored in arrays, includes
all over the place, urls that are actually 404 includes... nothing is more
confusing to a programmer learning an app than a page which calls another
page which goes to another page which includes some other stuff... and
having seen our code, i'm not too far off in describing it this way... not
that this is wrong, mind you, it's just that this complexity is surely one
of the main factors keeping more people from helping out -- they do not
need to learn cold fusion (or if they do, they could surely make the switch
from another language like php quite easily), rather they need to learn
*our application*

i am sure that if -- and i'm against this -- we were to re-code the entire
site in php, the same sort of situation would exist

rudy