[Sysadmin] Lists Hosting

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Wed May 5 18:46:08 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I think it's time to address the hosting of the lists.  The lists are
currently being hosted on a server that was never intended for that
use and shares space with a number of other unrelated services.  The
server is also being paid for by a few people rather than by evolt.org
itself.

The host ServerMatrix (http://www.servermatrix.com/) has been
proposed.  For about $1000 a year, we'll get a TB of data transfer.
It appears that we would have enough money to fund the server for the
year.  Then we would rely on donations and pledges by members of the
community to keep it going.

If the majority of people agree that this is a good idea, I will push
the proposal to theforum and finance to see if it is acceptable.  If
it is, I suggest that we move as soon as possible (within a few
months).  We need to get certain patches applied to the server and
software upgraded and it makes sense to do this all at once on a new
server rather than staging something on the existing one.

So I'd like to get a discussion/vote on this issue.  If we could have
feedback by next week or earlier would be appreciated.

Dean