[Sysadmin] Lists Hosting

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu May 6 03:56:01 CDT 2004

Dean Mah wrote:
> I think it's time to address the hosting of the lists.  The lists are
> currently being hosted on a server that was never intended for that
> use and shares space with a number of other unrelated services.  The
> server is also being paid for by a few people rather than by evolt.org
> itself.
>
> The host ServerMatrix (http://www.servermatrix.com/) has been
> proposed.  For about $1000 a year, we'll get a TB of data transfer.
> It appears that we would have enough money to fund the server for the
> year.  Then we would rely on donations and pledges by members of the
> community to keep it going.

sounds good to me - it means ...

- can provide fat bandwidth for the lists and beo
- similar cost to the raq
- can provide a strong testbed for the ng evolt.org / evolters.org
   platform

beo and evolters.org are two things for sure that I'd love to get cracking
on, but I don't see the point in doing it on the raq :)  It does mean we
need to get more vocal and more realistic about the donation drives.  Having
a bar at the top of the site saying "we're trying to raise $10K for hosting"
was embarrassing to say the least.  If we say "we're trying to raise $1K",
it's more realistic, and people are more prone to cough up $10, $50, $100
every year or so.

It's all good - I say let's fasttrack this and talk to theforum about it.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him