[Sysadmin] Next?

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 21:36:34 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM, John Handelaar <john at userfrenzy.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/17 Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM, David Kaufman <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:
>>> But Drupal is not available in etch from the Debian package archives.  It's
>>> available from backports, but only at version 5.  Lenny has Drupal 6, so it
>>> may be coming to backports in the near future... but in the mean time I
>>> guess that means we should install Drupal from source, at least for now,
>>> since everyone seems to have their little hearts set upon the latest
>>> greatest Drupalage.
>>
>> This brings up another question for me.  Do we stick to packages or
>> build from source when a newer version is available.  There are
>> packages for mediawiki and mailman but both are out of date.
>
> Myself, I would tend to divorce mailman (a service) from mediawiki and
> Drupal (web apps) in terms of whether being in apt matters a stuff.
>
> Are there substantive differences between the mediawiki

I didn't check but neuro mentioned that mediawiki was horribly out of date.

> and mailman packages versus the current releases?  List.org, helpfully, doesn't
> appear to have a changelog anywhere.

I believe that the packaged version sits at 2.1.9-7 (which is close to
what we are running on tempest).  The current version is 2.1.11.  It
looks like it's been bug fixes, security updates, and some minor
enhancements.  Version 3 is supposed to be when the big changes
happen.

> Drupal does now have the ability (with a rather nicely secured module)
> to "self-heal" from its web interface on demand, if memory serves.
> Since none of its modules are in apt anyway I don't see much sense in
> using a packaged version.  Indeed, isn't WEO currently being served
> out of my home directory?

No, I don't think so.  However, the database is "your" database, i.e.,
it's genghis versus www_evolt_org in mysql.

Are we going to keep the same filesystem layout for the virtual host
stuff, i.e., /store or are we going to switch to the FHS recommended
/srv?