[Sysadmin] filesystem layout and promoting me

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Fri Nov 21 18:19:01 CST 2008

Adrian Simmons wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's gone awful quiet again, I know Dean's been up to stuff because
> he's been on #evolt. I'd like to help out, but in the past haven't
> been on the sudoers list, would you all be ok with me helping out
> more? I'd happily tackle Drupal, Apache and maybe SVN setup.
>
> Dean mentioned on #evolt the possibility of using FHS to layout the
> filesystem, is this something everybody wants to do, or will we just
> stick with the debian defaults like /var/www? Going with the defaults
> would, I assume, be less work - and I'm all for that.

I'd suggest installing as much as possible (apps running under apache
aside) to the debian package defaults, it's much, much less trouble to
debug that way.  I'd also suggest putting all our stuff under /local,
e.g. web data, drupal install, mysql data, yadda yadda.

/local
/local/mysql
/local/web
/local/web/hosts
/local/web/hosts/browsers.evolt.org
/local/web/hosts/wiki.evolt.org <- mediawiki install from svn
/local/web/hosts/www.evolt.org <- drupal install
/local/web/logs
/local/web/<etc>

-n