[Sysadmin] filesystem layout and promoting me

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 09:16:57 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Adrian Simmons <adrian at perlucida.com> wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2008, at 04:54, John Handelaar wrote:
>> and Apache is (imho pointlessly) sitting on over 50% of the
>> box's available memory at all times.
> I've never used nginx, but I do know a lot of other slicehoster's*
> like it vs Apache for the lower memory footprint.
>
> * Slicehost being a VPS provider, and many people trying to squeeze
> the most out of their 512mb or even 256mb slice.

Performance, in terms of speed, of w.e.o became somewhat of a
non-issue when I turned on the mysql cache and made sure that the
indexes were updated on a regular basis.  I think that once the Apache
processes have started, or been primed, mod_php should already be
loaded so we're not incurring the start up penalty of the interpreter.
 Memory usage, like you said, is another story.

I've never nginx either.  So at this point, I'd say if you want to do
it, you own it until the rest of us are up to speed on it..  One way
or another, let's get the install going so we can dump tempest as soon
as possible, i.e., before month end.

Dean