[thechat] Movie connections (was: Once Were Warriors)

Sean German sgerman at sprockets.com
Wed Feb 21 08:54:24 CST 2001

Howdy,

Since the messages on Once Were Warriors were the first email I read this
morning (gotta prioritize that in box) and I was thinking about movies on
the bus into work, I will throw this out to the group.

What are some movies that go together because of a common theme or style but
aren't generally put together, ie not by the same director or writer, don't
have any actors in common, not of the same genre or era.

I'll start with the three I was thinking of this morning, though the
connections are not as subtle as some.

Midnight Run, with Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin
Rain Man, with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman
Things Change, with Joe Mantegna and Don Ameche

All three have 'odd couple' pairings, they involve a road trip or traveling,
and the central theme is control of one's own life.  The character who in
the beginning seems in control of the situation, or would like to seem in
control, may be more at the winds or fate he likes to admit.  And the
character who posed as having less control in the beginning, has more
control than he lets on, perhaps more than he knew he had, in the end.

And the IMDB has all three coming out in 1988.  Hmmmm, more connection.

PS +1 on Pecker and High Fidelity (Jack Black is reason enough to see any
movie)

Sean

Sean German
Sprockets