[thechat] How did this get in?

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 17:13:34 CST 2001

> http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0102.html#7 discussed this kind
> of attack and it's hit 4 lists already today. Spreading like wildfire.

My soon-to-be-brother-in-law had a similar problem. I am hosting his
personal site and I received a weird e-mail from him saying that if you type
in his e-mail addy into the address box of IE it displayed the directory of
his site. This came about because one of his less savvy Internet friends
thought that was how you sent e-mails. I contacted my hosting company and
they were amazed at the results, but then I suppose it doesn't occur to many
people to type in an e-mail address instead of a URL. The happy ending to
this little tale is that the reason the directory was displayed was because
he had not actually put any pages up yet, just folders.
Being as I started this thread it kinda reminded me about one of the things
I used to like on the Evolt list when I first joined, the URLOTD (U.R.L. Of
The Day). Would I be out of order suggesting that this chat list would be
the ideal place to start that up again?

Kev
kjs at ratking.co.uk