[thechat] Beervolts

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Tue Feb 27 16:23:37 CST 2001

> > Replying as a transplant who's been in Texas 5 years this May...
>
> At least you made it before it was too late ;)

you're presuming I qualify under the "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here
as fast as I could" saying. I don't. Work brought me here, and I'm inside
2yrs of leaving this sexist, racist, homophobic, self-inflating ego driven
state....

> Actually, Shiner Bock is a 'bock' beer, which is a German type of beer
> traditionally brewed in the fall.
> http://www.landfield.com/faqs/beer-faq/part1/section-7.html

yes, I know. Trying to draw flavor comparison for those who don't have
Shiner nearby (anyone outside the southwest). Bocks by nature have that
'ashy' finish, I'm just not a fan of it (though the local Coppertank has a
doppel bock seasonal that just kicks ass, and puts you down (8%) =D ) ....

> I'm not even going to dignify Bud bock with a comparison. Bud
> bock is swill.
> Sorry.

don't be, I agree. =) When I was in St Louis a few years ago for
Thanksgiving (friend's dad and family) we took the Bud tour and every
*single* beer they make has that beechwood finish and it tastes like crap,
even the porter and stout micro-labels they make. You know what kinda
disgusted me? They have slices of beechwood in the fermenting tanks --and
they *never* replace them. ick.

> Your lack of beer trivia is forgiven then.:) This concludes
> 'Texas Beers 101'.

heh, you and I should go beer drinking, methinks we'd have a good time. My
current beer is Young's Double Chocolate Stout, though if I have to have a
regional preference, I'd go with the nor'western beers, ala Anchor Steam and
Sierra Nevada....

Think you can make it to Austin?

sgd