[thechat] Coming to SXSW (Austin)? Some things you should know.

Erika Meyer meyer at up.edu
Wed Feb 28 18:11:40 CST 2001

>Normally I wouldn't forward this type of thing to anyone, much less a list,
>but in light of recent commentary here, I found more humor in it than I
>normally would.

It's all in context right?

>  	1. Don't expect to find filet mignon or pasta
>       primavera at the local restaurant. It's a cafe. They
>       serve hamburgers and chicken fried steak. Let them
>       cook something they know. If you confuse them, they'll
>       kick your ass.

This is actually very good advice for anywhere you travel.  I learned
that when I tried to order Fish and Chips in Minnesota.

If you must get fish in Minnesota, get walleye.

>       3. Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda. In
>       Texas it's called a coke. Nobody gives a damn whether
>       it's Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up or whatever it's
>       still a coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to
>       an ass kicking.

Coke?  That's what our US President, Georgie B, enjoys, right?

>	11. Yes, we know how to speak proper English. We talk
>       this way because we don't want to sound like you. We
>       don't care if you don't understand what we are saying.
>       All other Texans understand what we are saying and
>       that's all that matters. Now, go away, or we'll kick
>       your ass.

Again, our President...

ouch.. I just thought about his required reading program for
preschoolers and got a knot in my stomach...

Please refrain from reminding me about the US President again.
I'm hoping that if I ignore him, he will go away.

On behalf of muhself and other
like-minded uh-merrrrrcans,
I thank you.

Erika