[thechat] Driving in America

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Thu Mar 1 11:34:03 CST 2001

> >1/ Right on red. Now, I don't know if you can turn right on
> red on Cali
>
> yes, you can in California.  (You didn't really try this in
> the UK, did you?)

you can unless there is a sign saying you can't. On a one-way street that
intersects a one-way street that is right-to-left, you may make a left hand
turn on a red (or after a stop) just like you would make a right hand turn.
The rule of thumb is: If you have to cross traffic, wait for the green.

If there's one thing I could impart it would be this: Enter the freeway at
freeway speeds. In other words, you'd better floor it to get on the freeway;
merging at 45mph (72kmph) into traffic that's going 60-75mph (96-120kmph) is
scary at the least....

Oh, and use your mirrors. People change lanes for no reason, and sometimes
do it often....

One of the things that is standard in Cali that has started to show up here
in Texas is the green right-turn arrow. People here don't seem to (know to)
look for it, and sit in the right-hand turn lane staring off into space...
it is used when the intersecting street has a controlled left-turn light;
its pretty safe to make a right hand turn when the crossing traffic is
blocked by people turning left....

That make *any* sense?