[thechat] destruction of history

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Mar 1 13:34:49 CST 2001

I just caught this on MetaFilter

Afghans Smash Ancient Statues, Defy World Appeals

<http://news.iwon.com/home/news/news_article/0,11746,103521|world|03-01-2001
::09:34|reuters,00.html>

"ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - The radical Taliban movement began smashing all
statues from Afghanistan's rich cultural past Thursday, turning its back on
urgent international appeals to save the ancient artifacts."

It's outright vandalism.  I'm not Buddhist, but I live on this planet and I
care about history.  This is not "I'm tired of the color this room is
painted", this is, "I want to pretend that this never happened - and I want
everyone else to pretend that too".

Very sad.

--

bob davis