[thechat] Driving in America

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 09:35:50 CST 2001

> It's also a legal requirement for black cab drivers to take
> a laminated advert poster from the foldup seat, turn it
> back to front and wedge it in the front radiator grille
> at a 30 degree angle.  Why else do you think that they
> all do it?

          Don't know why it is a legal requirement, but I have to do this to
my car in the winter cos the heater matrix is shot & I'm to much of a cheap
bastard to have it replaced. Apparently it's something from years ago when
engines were a lot less complicated and needed re-tuning for summer & winter
to cope with the difference in air pressure. The guy who advised me to do
this said the best thing to use was one of those plastic "For Sale" signs
that estate agents put outside properties. I was torn between my desire to
be warm and not wanting to steal a sign. My lawyer advises me not to reveal
what my decision was ;)

Kev
kjs at ratking.co.uk