[thechat] Baby Doc (was: Re: Announcement)

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Wed Mar 21 15:29:17 CST 2001

Ron White wrote:
> However, I think Papa Doc Duvalier had the nickname first unfortunately, he
> was elected Prez in 57 and declared himself Prez for life in 64....
>
> Apparently he was actually a decent person before getting into politics...
> Hmmm big surprise there... :-)

Yeah, but I think (I don't know) that that revelations about what an
asshole he was came out in the mid-70's. I was born in 1970.

As to politics having a warping effect -- maybe so, maybe so. I think
the key though, is to have political systems where the power gets
distributed and balanced by some mechanism (in the U.S. this would be
the 3 branches of gov't).

Of course, there's always the power-mad-jerk factor. :-\

	- joe