[thechat] Re-formatting a Mac

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Fri Apr 6 17:58:09 CDT 2001

On Friday, April 6, 2001, at 06:39 PM, Joe Crawford wrote:

> One caveat -- make sure you *have* a system CD for a system that'll
> actually run on that box. Not sure what system that Mac wil tolerate.
> Maybe 8.1? Performa 5320 PowerMac ... hrmmm ... it's been too long since
> I've done this kind of resurrection... what's a good site for getting
> specs on old macs... what was that utility I remember... I have it at
> home...

Ok, it's a 603e.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_5320cd.
html

It might run 8.5 or 8.6..

> Anyway, my main point is that old macs too often don't have any
> accompanying CD install disks ... or at least nothing current. So be
> careful before wiping that system - might be a pain to find a fresh OS
> installer....

Dead on right.  Don't wipe the OS/Drive until you are certain that you
can install another one.  I haven't had to deal with an older one in a
while either, so I might not be on target with some of your questions.

Another thing - When you re-format the drive, you'll be asked whether
you want HFS or HFS+.  You want HFS+.  It's more efficient.

bob

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org