[thechat] San Francisco get-together

Marlene Bruce marlene at digitizethis.com
Fri Apr 6 20:10:34 CDT 2001

>I'd be particularly interested in doing it toward the beginning of the week
>so I can get some ideas on what I should do while I'm there...

Seth,

I was in SF in late January, and put up a travelogue of my trip (if
you're interested http://digitizethis.com/travelogue/). I'm hoping to
move out there later this year.

Some brief suggestions (culled from my trip):

* The Exploratorium (reserve a ticket for the Tactile Dome ahead of
time it you're interested, though it's more fun with two people) at
the Palace of Fine Arts (http://www.exploratorium.edu/). You'll want
to take your son there in a few years. If nothing else, at least take
a few minutes to walk around the gorgeous PoFA (mostly outdoors, it's
been used in scenes of many movies)
* The Audium (if you're into weird music stuffs:
http://www.audium.org/audium.html)
* Haight-Ashbury, of course. And while you're there, check out the
world's best music store: Amoeba Music
(http://www.amoebamusic.com/jrev/index2.html)
* Go down to Market Street and catch a Trolly to Fisherman's Wharf.
The Ghirardelli Chocolate factory is there too (didn't see that yet).
You can see Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge from
the Wharf.
* Definitely go to Chinatown. It's awesome. At the far end of
Chinatown is Little Italy, and if you've got the cash (new baby
prolly = "no") eat at the fabulous Rose Pistola (a little pricey, but
worth it; we spent $75 for two).
* Walk past this car dealership, peer in the windows (if they're
closed) and drool: http://www.carsauto.com/
* Have a Japanese breakfast at "Dojima An" (219 Ofarrell St, SF-Union
Square, (415)956-0838)

I have photos and brief descriptions of many of the above in my travelogue.

I'm jealous, wish I were going too (but I'll be there again May 11-14, yay!).

Cheers,
Marlene