[thechat] warning: may not be suitable for the squeamish

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 10 08:42:00 CDT 2001

On Tuesday, April 10, 2001, at 04:39 AM, matthew garrett wrote:

>> Seriously, though. What the hell is up with that? Is that a permanent
>> fixture?
>
> yep, it's there for life. it's titanium.
>
> titanium rocks!

While I'm still (nearly) 100% organic, I'm on the way to having some
metal in me - I'm going to need a new ACL (one of the string thingys in
your knee that keeps it from bending backward) and that will take
screws.  I've got a couple pics of said ruined ligament from the first
surgery if anyone wants to see...

It's not actually that nasty looking.  No blood, no 'ick', just a rather
tattered looking bit of ligament with a hook on it.  The shots were
taken when I was having some cartilage removed (years of knee abusing
sports and one stupid accident busted about 40% of my meniscus into
little shards - so the broken bits had to come out).

I never put them up for all to see, but I can if anyone is interested.

I guess it's only gross if you think about the fact that it's the inside
of someone's knee.

(as a side note - I was awake through it, watching the arthroscopy on
the monitor and chatting with the surgical team. Spinal anesthetic is
cool.)

bob

--
bob davis