[thechat] Now I think I'm a really web developer. And you?

Tamara Abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Sun Apr 22 08:23:13 CDT 2001

At 12:38 AM 4/22/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>. Very awful, and something
>I would occasionally deal with back when I was still a Respiratory
>Therapist.

Where I used to live, we had a CF patient that lived to 32. He'd come in for cupping every few months. And then every few weeks.

I sometimes wonder what I was thinking when I gave up hospital work -- all those nights and weekends -- all those years ago only to end up doing this from my home every day, night and weekend.

I began to slowly wear this latest hat as I got more and more involved in the web. I went from respiratory therapy technician (no certification required in 1980), to secretarial-type work, to journalism.

But when I discovered the web, well, I just naturally had to make a homepage. Then I started finding *clients* on a part-time basis, sort of a *will work for computer parts* thing. After a mutual parting of the ways at my last job (as a  web content editor with /no/ web access to the company's web site, that was really weird), we looked at what I was /really/ making after gas, daycare, clothing, and decided that it would be better to just concentrate on learning about the web, give *Abbey Ink* a shot and wait for the little bean to start school (16 more months).

So, I'm learning -- I'm learning it really takes a while to build a little catalog and maybe I should start estimating better, and who knows, maybe I'll eventually make a dime at this? I know I really don't want a *real* job anymore, I'm sort of used to loungewear now and I had to wear shoes almost every day one week last month -- no thanks!!

As far as exactly when I made the mental transition, I guess it was that first $700 month -- yeah, not much, I know, but it was enough to make me think I could do it again. And then, I hope to have $1,000 months -- the biggest blockade has been business skills, so if I can finally master that, then I think I'll officially think of myself as a self-employed web developer. Either that or my kid will start school and I'll have to get a job and wear shoes again 8(

<tamara />