[thechat] roll yr own blackout

Ron White ronwhite at members.evolt.org
Mon May 21 15:09:40 CDT 2001

<snipbunk>
It's not the government's place to be mandating the safety of our nation's
citizens.
<snipbunk>

Uh, WTF?!?!?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union,
establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common
defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to
ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for
the United States of America.

I think that mandating public safety falls under the "promote the general
Welfare" part. Or would you prefer that farmers still used DDT to kill
insects? It worked great, wasn't so sporty for our or the planet's health.
How about Thalidomide?? Fixed some problems, caused babies to be born
without limbs... Hey Mr. Terrorist, please come bomb us, our government
isn't supposed to keep us safe... Mr. Heavy Industry, add more arsenic to
our water... (hmm guess this is a bad example with Shrub in office). What's
that Mr. Waste Water Collector? You'd like to pump sewage into my drinking
water?? Go ahead, Ben says the government isn't supposed to keep me safe...
Yo, Mr. Robber, here's my money, the police aren't going to help... I could
go on all afternoon and through the rest of the week, but I think I've made
my point...

The government is SUPPOSED to keep us safe (keep the food supply safe), its
NOT SUPPOSED to completely protect us from our own stupidity (open cup of
coffee between your legs). There is value to livin' and learnin' after all.

Ron