[thechat] comics

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Tue May 22 13:15:56 CDT 2001

> > Some people really do /swear/ by Silver Surfer. The
> character is modeled
> > in Christian mythology

> "Christian Mythology"?  Now there's an interesting statement.
> Some of the
> best historical records validate the life and work of Jesus
> and its a myth
> like Norse, Greek and Roman gods?  You're certainly entitled to your
> thinking, but myth?  I think not.
>
> Norman

C'mon. Per Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: myth
Pronunciation: 'mith
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek mythos
Date: 1830
1 a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that
serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice,
belief, or natural phenomenon b : PARABLE, ALLEGORY
2 a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or
someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a
society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of
individualism -- Orde Coombs> b : an unfounded or false notion
3 : a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence
4 : the whole body of myths

Main Entry: my·thol·o·gy
Pronunciation: mi-'thä-l&-jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French mythologie, from Late Latin
mythologia interpretation of myths, from Greek, legend, myth, from
mythologein to relate myths, from mythos + logos speech -- more at LEGEND
Date: 1603
1 : an allegorical narrative
2 : a body of myths: as a : the myths dealing with the gods, demigods, and
legendary heroes of a particular people b : MYTHOS 2 <cold war mythology>
3 : a branch of knowledge that deals with myth
4 : a popular belief or assumption that has grown up around someone or
something

The above sounds about right to me, and I'm a christian. Mythology in the
sense Joe used it (my reading, of course) has nothing to do with veracity
or authenticity.

Oh, and Descartes is sitting in a bar. The bartender says, "How about
another drink, Rene?"
He answers, "I think not."
And *BAM* - he disappears.

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"