[thechat] Mythology was comics

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed May 23 14:26:00 CDT 2001

On 23 May 2001, at 9:04, Ben Dyer posted a message which said:

> Well, it's interesting because there is a strong non-denominational
> movement within Christianity because of this very reason (especially in the
> younger generation - we're tired of it).

When I was young, I was impressed by the Methodist church
philosophy that on the essentials, Methodists agree, and on
everything else, Methodists hold a wide variety of opinions. When
I got older, I learned that *all* denominations have *exactly* that
same position - it's just that they disagree on what is essential.

> The basis for a vast majority of Christianity is the same:

> The Trinity,

Very much denied by Unitarians.

> the inerrancy of the Scriptures,

Denied by virtually every major denomination in Christianity,
including all the United Council of Churches.

> Christ's death on the cross,

You may have agreement on this one. You won't get agreement
on the idea that Jesus was born of a virgin, though, nor any
agreement about whether he had biological brothers and sisters.

> subsequent resurrection and ultimate return,

Where did he return *to*, though?  The Mormons believe that
when he disappeared from the middle east, he appeared in
upstate New York.

When someone says "nondenominational Christianity", they are
saying "We DEFINE Christianity", and if you don't believe what
they believe, you aren't a Christian".  That kind of unchristian
attitude towards fellow travellers inspired the bumper sticker that
says "God, please save us from your followers"

deke