[thechat] Mythology was comics

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Thu May 24 01:01:19 CDT 2001

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>

> i apologise - we were discussing religion and i assumed that anyone reading
> my email would naturally realise that i meant faith in religion, etc.

I know that we are discussing religion, I just wanted to make the point that
science is a religion too. In that it promotes and perpetuates a system of
beliefs about the universe we live in. It gives non-believers something to
believe in. It gives us faith.

Back to the dictionary:
Religion n. 2. a particular system of faith and worship.

Yes?

By the way, I had this exchange with an Emergency Room doctor a couple of
years ago.
Doc: "Do you know what your name means?"
Me: "not exactly"
Doc: "It means 'a gift from God'"
Me: silent
Doc: "I've got good news, and bad news"
Me: "I'll take the bad"
Doc: "you broke you're neck. but you can move your arms and legs, and things
look pretty good."

I took the 'gift from God' part under advisement, because you never know.

A few minutes later...
Doc: " Are you a praying man?"
Me: "Not usually."
Doc: "Now might be a good time to start."

Matthew