[thechat] Mythology was comics

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Thu May 24 14:07:11 CDT 2001

At 01:07 PM 5/24/2001, you wrote:
><snip>
>Q2
>Explain the Theory of Evolution/Big Bang vs. Creation.
>
>A2
>Oh boy.  It comes down to this: we weren't around for either (whichever it
>may be), so you don't know for sure and I don't know for sure.  I believe
>in Creation.  I believe God has the power to make a rock appear to be 3
>billion years old.  Maybe carbon dating doesn't work that far back (I don't
>know the science behind it, so I'm merely speculating).  Again, none of us
>was around 6,000 or 3-6 billion years ago, so we don't know for sure who
>would be correct.
></snip>
>
>Ok so now you're essentially saying that your god has a warped sense of
>humor? "Hey, I know, I'll put some skeletons of big giant lizards in the
>ground to fool those dumb humans I made..."

No, in fact some people believe that dinosaurs are even mentioned in the Bible:

Job 40:15-24
"Behold now the Behemoth, which I made with you. He eats grass like the ox.
Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his
belly.  He moves his tail like a cedar tree: the sinews of his stones are
wrapped together.  His bones are like strong pieces of brass: his bones are
like bars of iron.  He is the chief of the ways of God: He that made him
can make his sword to approach unto him.
Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the
field play.  He lies under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed and
fens.  The shady trees cover him with their shadow: the willows of the
brook compass him about.  Behold he drinks up a river, and hastens not: he
trusts that he can draw up the Jordan River into his mouth.
He takes it with his eyes, his nose pierces through snares."

Which some people think describes a different large animal (like an
elephant) except that the line about moving his tail like a cedar tree
doesn't describe an elephant.

Job 38:4
"Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you
know so much."

>Or even better, he put all these people on the planet, but only told the
>early Hebrews about his existence...

Well, if you skip forward in the Bible.  Genesis 11 talks about how Tower
of Babel and how God gave everyone different languages and then scattered
them across the earth.  So technically, everyone would have at some point
up to that point known about the Lord and chosen not to believe it.

Also, on Carbon Dating, I'd like to know about the accuracy of this article:
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c007.html

It's food for thought but I would be lying if I said I understood it all.

--Ben

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer
Imaginuity Interactive