[thechat] Math was Mythology was comics

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu May 24 15:27:27 CDT 2001

>It's been quite a while since I've been through it ... {I'm pretty sure I
>have a copy of his original paper at home.} ... but I kind of remember it as
>a set-theoretic application of the Cantor diagonal argument. (He says
>offhandedly in the odd chance that that might mean something to anyone
>here!)

Cool, I'll go have a look at that! I must admit I've learnt a lot
from this thread (I've bookmarked the excellent Xenu story in three
different browsers just in case...).

Is the Cantor diagonal argument anything like (he asks hopefully) the
Liar's paradox or Protagoras's argument with his pupil:

A story is told of the time Protagoras demanded his fee from
Euathlus, a pupil of his. Euathlus refused to pay, saying, "But I
haven't won a vicory yet". Protagoras replied, "But if I win this
dispute, I must be paid because I've won, and if you win it I must be
paid because you've won."

(ripped from Lyotard's Differend, page 6 -- because my memory for
even a short story is so bad I'd likely mangle it) :-)
--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/