[thechat] Darwin was (Re: Mythology)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Fri May 25 09:28:28 CDT 2001

Hi Matt,

For any great idea there are usually "hints" and "close calls" in earlier
writings by others. However, Darwin alone is generally considered the
'father' of Evolution.

By the way, the theory of evolution has been considerably expanded upon
since his writing.  Last I checked I think the concept of 'punctuated
equilibrium' was gaining ground as the leader of the pact -- basically an
idea that change is not smooth and slow over time - but comes in "fits and
starts punctuated by long periods of equilibrium" [if I remember correctly].

If this is a subject you want more info on I would heartily recommend any
and all of the writings of Stephen Jay Gould -- who is pretty much the
world's leading authority on Evolution. {And the 'star science witness' at
the conclusion of the Supreme Court's considerations of evolution versus
creationism!}   The essays are fabulous!

More info:
http://www.freethought-web.org/ctrl/news/stephen_gould.html

I think I've read most of the books.  I'm a fan - they guy is really really
good! ... and it' easy reading.

HTH,

RonL.