[thechat] sulfnbk.exe Virus

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Jun 1 06:26:27 CDT 2001

Mike King wrote on 1/6/01 12:17 pm

>No don't worry, I'm not about to tell you to delete this file on pain of
>death.
>But, I was impressed with this people virus, the only time it could infect
>you was if you fell for it... no fancy coding, just reliant on people
>trusting other people  =)

Yeah, I've always been of the opinion that virus hoaxen are indeed
virii themselves.

Hoax or virus?
1) Email comes in with payload content
2) Payload results in email being forwarded to everyone in the address
book

The only difference is that the hoax doesn't require you to be
running Win/Outlook.

Now of course, I'm getting the "Please forward this to everyone you sent
the alert to" emails, *telling* me that it's a hoax. I'm trying to work
out whether this is A Good Thing or not. For users who read the damn
thing, it could be good because it's educating them about hoaxes. But
most people will just forward it. And it's written with hoax heuristics
(caps, exclamation marks, the 'please forward this to everyone' payload).

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)778 068 6418                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland