[thechat] Money Slang

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Mon Jun 4 09:27:37 CDT 2001

> > In certain select parts of London, you will also
> > get a pony (20 pounds), a monkey (50).

I don't think I'd like to receive a pony in my change - especially in
London, where pony is more usually a crap (that's a shit to the mercans)
- via rhyming slang: pony and trap -> crap.

(and a crap is so called because of a sanitation engineer (royal
plumber) called Sir Thomas Crapper IIRC, who invented the flushing
toilet and lent his name to it's use)

(this last is subject to suspicion of urban myth.. but there is at least
some substance to it - see this discussion:
http://www.urbanlegends.com/misc/crapper_sir_thomas.html )

Sam