[thechat] Here's a question - car batteries -

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Mon Jun 4 10:32:53 CDT 2001

True - but your oil doesn't take the consistency of molasses there. It's
very hard on the battery to get the starter to turn an engine that is
that cold. Good batteries and synthetic oil are your friends. I use
synth all the time (now running summer oil - 15W-50 Mobil 1, 5w30 in
winter).

Big +1 on getting the electrical system looked at. German cars tend to
have problems with the ground wire/strap. Voltage regulators and
alternators do eventually give up the ghost too. It's pretty simple to
see what kind of charge the battery is getting. Never hurts to know
what's happening with your car. Any more, a voltmeter is one of the most
indispensable diagnostic tools there is.  I've used them to find all
kinds of stuff that was "wrong", sometimes chasing down a bad wire.
$.02 of wire and a couple splices later, and the car is running happily.

Plenty of parts stores will look for you. They'd really much rather sell
you a new alternator (last one I bought was ~$300) than a new battery
(~$75) anyway. It's very simple to check.

bob
(car geek)

--
bob davis