[thechat] Can you survive on Linux alone?

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Mon Jun 4 13:21:10 CDT 2001

First off, I'm not a Linux developer, but here's what I know.

At 01:13 PM 6/4/2001, you wrote:
>i'm curious too: what about photoshop? as a
>developer, photoshop is a necessity. does linux have
>a viable alternative yet?

Some people swear by Gimp, which is supposed to be a reasonable equivalent
to Photoshop.  There's also a Windows version, so you could try to download
that and see how it works.  Haven't used it myself, so I'm not sure how it
works.

http://www.gimp.org/

>---- thechat at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> > This is for all the Linux people out there. I have
>just about had it with
> > windows and in particular Microsucks. I am
>seriously thinking of
> > reformatting my hard drives and changing over to
>Linux (Red Hat in
> > particular). What I am wondering is this. Can
>someone survive in this day
> > and age running a home computer on Linux and Linux
>alone or do I need to
> > look at some form of dual boot idea with my
>computer? (You can dual boot
> > windows 98SE, windows 2k, and Red Hat can't you?)
>Are there truly enough
> > programs out there for the Linux os to make it
>viable to run only that at
> > home or am I crazy for even thinking this?
> >
> > Hope this doesn't start a Linux vs. Windows war, I
>just want some opinions
> > on the state of Linux as a viable alternative to
>windows.

Well, there is also a Windows emulator for Unix/Linux called Wine
(http://www.winehq.com/) which may help in a transition.  Again, I'm not
speaking from experience, but that might help.

One thing I would recommend (I'm actually getting ready to do this myself)
is to download Virtual PC from Connectix (http://preview.connectix.com) and
try getting Linux to run on there.  Then it kind of runs in its own little
sandbox away from the world.  That may help to save you frustration later.

Just some thoughts.

--Ben

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer