irony (was:RE: [thechat] Car Buffs ..)

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Wed Jun 6 12:33:38 CDT 2001

At 12:24 PM 6/6/01 -0400, Bob wrote:

>>68 (!) mpg with the Insight. I might hunt for a Car&Driver review er
>>something. But yeah, diesel. Didya know the big rigs (18 wheelers) don't
>>really break in until the 10 *million* mile mark? Nutty, I tell you...
>
>I saw something about one of the hybrid cars where they were saying it
>really got about 40 or so in city driving. Same as the direct injection VW
>turbo diesel.
>Note - our diesel fuel here is junk compared to the stuff they pump in
>Europe, so we can't even get the good diesel engines here. VW makes some
>amazing stuff (they have a monster 10cyl turbo diesel that makes something
>like 500 HP - don't know if it's din or sae though).

I know someone who has an Insight.  They use it for in town driving and
commuting.  They have to go over several pretty large hills on the daily
commute and the car is still pulling about 60 mpg.  It's a nice little car.

I do like the VW diesels.  I got a chance to drive one the of the older
Rabbits.  That thing was zippy.  But it sure wasn't quiet.  Are the newer
diesels more quiet?

Judah