[thechat] kiddy domains

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Jun 14 22:18:19 CDT 2001

>afaik, there is no interest due on this (although i believe it's pegged to
>inflation somehow), and when you start earning a specific figure (i think
>it's $26k), you contribute 1% or something back to pay off your HECS debt.
>you can also receive a discount for making extra payments.
>
>it effectively enables anyone to study, regardless of financial position. no
>kids end up stuck and having to get student loans, or missing out on a
>chance at a better career because they're poor.
>
>does the US government ever consider anything like this?

Man! You guys got off a lot better than we did this side of the
Tasman. :-( My partner has only just started paying any principal off
her $50k debt... It's grown by thousands of dollars every single year
since she graduated.

I remember reading something in the NY Times online a few years back
about a plan they instituted at Yale back in the '70s to encourage
lawyers to go into lower paid but worthy  / community-centric jobs.
Instead of individual loans the entire class would take out a loan.
The idea was that once you earn over a certain threshold you would
contribute towards clearing the class debt. I think Yale weren't even
charging any interest on it.

Anyhoo... it was news because several exceedingly wealthy high-flyer
lawyer types were refusing to pay up, and hadn't contributed a cent
since graduating 30 years ago.

Made a refreshing change from newspapers always blaming the poor IMO.

Andrew
--
Andrew Forsberg
---