[thechat] Auto Expense mileage rate in UK

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Jun 20 10:08:40 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Depends on a couple of things:
1) Size of your car's engine (bigger engine=more petrol usage)
2) Whether you have a company car (if it's your car, then it's only fair
    that the co. picks up a share of depreciation, maintenance etc)
3) How generous your company is/how much they can charge on to
   clients.

I have a company car, which the co. pays for maintenance, insurance etc,
and I pay part of the leasing cost (which is allowed for in my total
benefits
package. The idea is that I can choose *any* car, but if I want something
more expensive, then I should contribute towards that, otherwise we'd all
be
driving Mercedes SLKs, Maclaren F1 road cars or Audi A6s).

I get 12p a mile in mileage which is about what the petrol cost is, unless
drive like Michael Schumacher (Petrol is 78.9p a litre at the moment in
most places). This is for a 1.8l engine.

If I were driving my own car (a 1.4), I'd be getting I think about 30p a
mile.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thechat at lists.evolt.org