[thechat] Fun at Circut City

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 20 13:45:27 CDT 2001

So, while out doing some errands yesterday, I stopped at a
CircuitCity to look for this head set I was talking about earlier,
and I see that they have a new iBook.

Very cool little computer, with an awesome screen. No wonder it's
selling so well. Anyway, it's running MacOS 9.1. No biggie. I wanted
to test the keyboard out, and while I was getting textpad open, I
notice all of the directories that indicate an OS-X installation.
Hmmm....

Curious, I booted it into X. It had never been set up.

>;)

What to do...what to do... Well, I could set it up with completely
innocuous stuff - give it guest/guest as a username/password and tell
the guys there what I had done, or I could get in, enable root, and
have fun.  I decided to do the former.

When I told the guy, "Hey, you had better set up that iBook or
someone will lock you out", he looked at me like I was crazy.

Oh, well.

It amazes me that Apple will let someone sell the machines when they
don't have the slightest idea of what to do about keeping them
running.

bob
--

bob davis