[thechat] Book review

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 12:23:38 CDT 2001

Dear All
           I have just finished reading a book that might be of interest to
you all. It's called "aol.com" and is, as you have probably already
gathered, all about the rise of AOL. I'm not a great lover of the service,
but the book is a fascinating insight into how the Internet evolved during
the 80's and 90's and all the key players involved. Being a relative newbie
to all of this I found it an extremely interesting read and, being English,
I missed out on a lot of what was going on in the States at the time.
Surprisingly, the book is not altogether pro AOL, listing all the bad
business decisions as well as the good ones and highlights all the times the
company screwed other people in it's relentless bid to become the monster it
is today. Quite interesting from a historical point of view, I would
recommend anyone who would like a bit more background about the Internet to
give it a read.

Kev
kjs at ratking.co.uk