[thechat] the absinthiste

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Jul 5 19:35:11 CDT 2001

>You only need to wander around a few University English departments
>to find out just how dangerous it can be! :)

oh yeah.
Are you referring to the alcoholism or wanton sex?

(I have 2 English degrees, myself.)

>I think (?) the essay is fictional ... the author, Jason, referred
>to it as a 'creative essay' so it's pleasantly ambiguous.

Good.  Well I feel better for the author....

>Thanks Erika, I guess this is positive feedback.

Oh yes, it's fantastic.  I remember long ago my artist boyfriend
being fascinated by Van Gough, Rimabaud, etc and that naturally leads
to curiosity about absinthe...

Of course, now that it's fictional, I REALLY feel crazy....  Hey, I
haven't experimented with any psychotropic plants since I hit 30...

...though my ex-sister in law has invited me to the Native American Church.
One day I'll go.  Church is where psychoactive plants belong, anyway.

Erika