[thechat] the absinthiste

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 15:44:04 CDT 2001

  They actually serve absinthe at my local bar round the corner. I don't try
it very often because I really lost it one night, didn't know if I was
dreaming or actually doing things. And watching the Blair Witch Project
didn't help either. The last time I drunk it was when my (now) wifes parents
met my parents for the first time. We had a meal and then went to the bar
for a couple of drinks and I decided to introduce my Dad to the delightful
effects of the green drink. I walked them back to the tube station, and by
the time we got there everything was getting a bit strange and my Mum's face
had turned green. How they made it home is a mystery.
  Of all the dubious legal highs, the one that is the most available is
opium, believe it or not. Those lovely big poppy heads that you can buy in
bunches of dried flowers just about anywhere, are actually opium poppies.
They are illegal in Hungary, as was explained to me by a Hungarian friend
living in England as she crushed some up, boiled them down for an hour and
then made us all some opium tea. I even remember some of these growing in a
neighbour's garden and walked past one morning to find that someone had made
cuts in the heads to drain the opium.

Kev
kjs at ratking.co.uk