[thechat] What about the economy?

Joxn joxn at vernum.com
Mon Jul 23 12:31:59 CDT 2001

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> Besides, what would the police response been if the protestor
> had used the same level of violence as the police (ie killed someone)?
> Hanging, drawing and quartering? Flaying alive? Being torn

> apart by horses? I think the word here is 'disproportionate'.

+1

> Current reporting in most mass media alleges that the entire
> demonstration was violent.

Mmh, my impression is that at least the serious German news programms
(eg. 'Tageschau', the 20:15 news on public TV and actually *the* news
progamm, but also private channel like RTL) repeat again and again that
most of the protesters are peaceful. They also say that the violent
'protesters' hide in the peaceful masses and that the peaceful
protesters have no chance to get their messages across due to the
massive violence.

However, the newscasts over here show interviews with the peaceful
protesters who make clear that they support no form of violence.

Well, actually, I'm not surprised that you rarely see the peaceful
protests on *American* TV...

bye Joxn
--
    || //\\ \\// |\\||  ::  joxn at vernum.com  ::