[thechat] What about the economy?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Jul 25 16:05:13 CDT 2001

Bill wrote:

>I think it is a bit closed-minded to say that power+authority=BADPEOPLE, as
>much as it is similarly closed-minded to say that
>weakness+oppression=GOODPEOPLE. No matter who you are, your actions make up
>who you are in the external world.

True.  You can't choose your fate, or the world you are born into.
You can only choose how to respond to it.

I do find it annoying when people who are "power+authority" (which in
the US are those with lots of money) live at the expense of those who
are "weak+oppressed."
(weak+oppressed are laborers, factory workers, service industry
people, most single parents, and various other non-rich people (who's
work provides wealth for other rich people).

It is especially troubling that people can enjoy their wealth when
all around there are so many people struggling to survive.

That to me is really really weird.  I see it in the trendy section of
town: homless / hungry people wandering past the outdoor tables of
the high class restaurants, where the wealthy sit in their beautiful
clothes and hairstyles, enjoying expensive meals and wine...

I have experienced the executive class and the underclass, and I find
it odd/troubling that there are such extremes of wealth and poverty
(and consumption & waste) in the US...

and to top it off, our leaders (read: Bush et al) deny there is
anything wrong with this.