[thechat] Appalling

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Jul 25 16:38:04 CDT 2001

This is one of those things that seems so ridiculous it could be a gag...

But if it's true, the "report" is going to be flawed:

"The report, which breaks out the savings from such things as health
care, housing, and other social services that are unlikely to be used
by dead people, does admit that there is a dark side to death: dead
people don't pay taxes."

it can't be THAT cheap to die from cancer...

and what about all the other health effects associated with smoking
(more sickness, prolonged sicknesses, childhood asthma) that perhaps
aren't directly related to death, but instead to lost work days and
extra doctor visits?