[thechat] Appalling

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 26 01:27:53 CDT 2001

Joe Crawford wrote on 26/7/01 1:39 am

>Poor people also tend to be easier to control
>politically - if you're worrying about your next meal you could care
>less about things like pollution.

Makes sense if you consider Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

>WG: "...there were companies that could operate on both sides of the Second
>World
>War and merge seamlessly afterwards..."

Did you see the recent accusations about IBM? It's claimed that
they supplied accounting machines to the Nazis which powered
the admin of the Holocaust.

>I think if you put checks and balances into them
>they can be made to work in ways that serve mankind,

Otherwise known as 'laws'. The UK used to have a law whereby they
could shut any company whose activities were "detrimental to His
Majesty's subjects." That said, screwing other people was fine,
witness the activities of the East India Company.

>I'm reminded of the UB40 song "One in Ten" - which is about how we push
>people to being just numbers.
>http://www.ub40fft.co.uk/lyrics2/oneinten.html

As well as the general message, it's specifically referring to the 10%
unemployment rate of the time.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland