[thechat] quote from Mom

Mark Groen markgroen at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 13:49:40 CDT 2001

<snip>
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Davis
To: Evolt.org Social List
Sent: July 28, 2001 7:56 AM
Subject: [thechat] quote from Mom

While I was visiting my parents on my way to my new home in Texas, I
was talking to my Mother about computers, who is using them, and what
they use them for.
At one point, my Mom said,
"If you don't have an internet connection, what do you do
with your computer?"
:)
</snip>

The internet is seen as a communication tool mainly by people that are not
power users I have found. When they aren't chatting/emailing, it's also a
tool for finding information, once they get the hang of how to use Google.
That may also be a connection as to why more than 51% of Canadians are
hooked up to the net - long, cold winters make great story tellers and
musicians and comics as well as making them hungry for contact with other
people. As far as buying things with their computer, they would rather just
shop the net for prices, and then go to an actual store for the purchase.
News about databases of names and credit card numbers being compromised
further sends e-commerce lower on the scale of importance to them. AOL
created an empire making "you've got mail!" a household phrase; and
originally wasn't the internet about scientists keeping in touch with each
other?