[thechat] july stats..

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed Aug 1 14:10:19 CDT 2001

ok, i or apache seriously fucked something up this month..

it turns out that the access_log for www.evolt.org was getting written
out not as an access_log format like so:

202.188.229.19 - - [01/Aug/2001:13:45:25 -0500] "GET
/evolt/images/9599/nfl.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 10537
"http://www.evolt.org/article/Developing_User_Friendly_Flash_Content/4090/9601/"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)"

but as an error_log format:

[Wed Aug  1 13:45:06 2001] [error] [client 200.185.76.95] File does not
exist:
/home/evolt/public_html/article/Developing_User_Friendly_Flash_Content/4090/9601/

so we've got two sets of error logs for july for www.evolt.org.. it took
me a long ass time to figure out why the main stats page wasn't showing
Bob's mac osX article(i was interested to see how many page views it
got), so i started poking around otherwise i wouldn't have noticed. at
any rate, here is the URL to the report *without* the access_log from
www.evolt.org(but *with* the error_log and referer_log)

http://browsers.evolt.org/stats/stats.jul2001.html

780k 'hits'(this is much lower than last month cus none of the
www.evolt.org access_log images and files are in there and because I
didnt use leo.evolt.org's access_log which is where b/m/l/a.e.o points
for images)
409k page views
1.5Gb of data per day
57k distinct IP addys
admins held 3 of the top 5 positions for hits on m.e.o(jeff, me, david)

now thanks to the open source nature of analog i was able to configure
it to read the www.evolt.org - access_log which had error_log data in it
- and get it to spit out a couple useful things..

http://browsers.evolt.org/stats/stats.weojul2001.html

only has a couple things(cus an error_log only reports 3 or 4
things(client, date, filename)), and everything on that page is *ONLY*
what runs through the 404 handler, so no files that reported a 200
Status OK will be in this..

i also used sed to replease the File does not exist:
/home/evolt/public_html/whatever so just /whatever shows up..

anyways, it tacks on another 120k page views which puts as right around
550k total page views and 82k distinct visitors for all evolt
sites(d.e.o is here now too) for the month of july, which was also a
shorter month, statisically cus i didnt roll the logs from june till the
3rd of july(29 days of stats for july)

200k more page views than last month
500k fewer 'hits' than last month
11k more distinct hosts than last month

la la la, if you're still reading by now give yourself a hand.. if you
*understand* what the hell i'm blabbering about, give a bigger hand :)

if anyone has questions or anything, let me know. am i rambling?

.djc.

p.s. it turns out bobs MacOSX article ended up with around 3700 page views

p.s.s. m.e.o stats are at http://members.evolt.org/july2001stats.html